We at The Urbanist welcome active dialogue from our readers. We believe that healthy conversations build better understanding between those with different points of view. By listening and discussing, we can learn from each other and it makes our community better for it.
While we are a place to share and discuss ideas, it does not mean that every comment is acceptable. Comments that attack other commenters, authors, or discourage others from participating in the comment threads are unwelcome on The Urbanist because they serve only to stifle conversation. Editors of The Urbanist monitor comments on a regular basis and use their discretion to modify and/or delete comments without notice if the comment violates any of the following policies:
- No ad-hominin attacks. Comments should focus on the issue presented or the argument being made, not the person making the argument. Rather than criticizing the person making an argument, comments should be specific to the ideas presented and contribute in a manner to expand discussion, clarify, or provide an alternative argument.
- Avoid long tangents. Comments should stay on topic and within the spirit of the general discussion.
- No trolling or threats. Avoid comments that seek to troll (or get a rise out of) fellow commenters and authors. We want a safe place to discuss. Threats and discussion that encourages violence is prohibited.
- No self-promotion or advertising.
- Comments must be succinct. If your comment exceeds 500 words, surprise: you’ve written an article. Go pitch it to a publication or start your own blog, but please condense before trying to post it in our comment board. Mansplainers beware.
- Keep your tone civil. Abusive or profane language is not tolerated.
- Create your own comment thread or stick to existing threads, but do not pepper the comment section with numerous threads.
- Everyone’s view is welcome if they play by the rules. Comments should not discourage other commenters or authors from sharing their perspectives.
- If you have concerns regarding a comment (or moderation of your own) on the website, please e-mail us to discuss. We ask that you do not do this in the thread itself.
Consistent abuse of these policies may lead to a commenter to become blacklisted from further community discussion. If you have any questions or comments regarding our comment policy, please let us know by contacting us. We appreciate you for taking the time to learn about our comment policy and being part of our excellent reader community.