We at The Urbanist welcome active dialogue from our readers. We believe that healthy conversations build better understanding between those with different points of view. By listening and discussing, we can learn from each other and it makes our community better for it.
While we are a place to share and discuss ideas, it does not mean that every comment is acceptable. Comments that attack other commenters, authors, or discourage others from participating in the comment threads are unwelcome on The Urbanist because they serve only to stifle conversation. Editors of The Urbanist monitor comments on a regular basis and use their discretion to modify and/or delete comments without notice if the comment violates any of the following policies:
- Commenters must treat all fellow commenters and authors with respect.
- Resorting to name-calling or using rhetorical tactics to interrogate, intimidate, or disparage a commenter is inappropriate. If you don’t agree with another person’s ideas, you should make a reasoned and logical argument to talk about the issues.
- Comments should focus on the issue presented or the argument being made, not the person making the argument. Rather than criticizing the person making an argument, comments should be specific to the ideas presented and contribute in a manner to expand discussion, clarify, or provide an alternative argument.
- Comments should stay on topic and within the spirit of the general discussion.
- Keep the tone of comments civil. Abusive or profane language is not tolerated.
- Avoid comments that seek to troll fellow commenters and authors.
- We want a safe place to discuss. Discussion that encourages or endorses violence is prohibited.
- Overt self-promotion or advertising is generally prohibited.
- Comments should be succinct, not overly lengthy inhibiting discussion.
- Create your own comment thread or stick to existing threads, but do not pepper the comment section with numerous threads.
- Everyone’s view is welcome. Comments should not discourage other commenters or authors from sharing their perspectives.
- If you have concerns regarding a comment (or moderation of your own) on the website, please e-mail us to discuss. We ask that you do not do this in the thread itself.
Consistent abuse of these policies may lead to a commenter to become blacklisted from further community discussion. If you have any questions or comments regarding our comment policy, please let us know by contacting us. We appreciate you for taking the time to learn about our comment policy and being part of our excellent reader community.