Last year we conducted our first fundraising drive and saw a tremendous amount of support. We are incredibly grateful for everyone who has made donations! And we hope readers continue to donate. These donations, coupled with advertising revenue and walking tour revenue, has made it possible to hire our first paid staff member.
To make The Urbanist sustainable long-term, we’ve realized that we need paid staff and the most critical role is organizational development. To that end, we’re opening up a part-time position for an Operations and Development Manager. Read on for the job advertisement. If you’re not hunting yourself, please pass this on to folks who might be interested.
Operations and Development Manager
The Urbanist is a nonprofit that examines policies to improve cities. We primarily focus on transportation and housing policy. We think high quality walking, bike, and public transit improvements are critical for a successful city. We also believe an inclusive housing policy is a necessity. You can read more about our policy principles. The organization focuses on three primary activities: publishing, programming, and policy activism. We’re a resource for disseminating ideas, creating community, and improving the places we live.
The Development Coordinator position is a six-month, part-time contract (20 hours per week) with the goal of making it a permanent position. The primary responsibility will be developing a revenue strategy, growing existing fundraising, and increasing organizational capacity.
An ideal candidate would be:
- Passionate about inclusive urbanism
- Skilled at identifying opportunities to raise money
- Self-motivated to grow an organization
- Able to engage and coordinate volunteers
- Comfortable with politics that involve both collaboration and conflict
- Create a two-year fundraising plan with timelines and goals
- Systematize revenue generation so that anyone can help with the effort and involve existing volunteers
- Organize and oversee an online fundraising drive
- Develop advertising pipeline and manage existing advertisers
- Organize and participate in quarterly board meetings outside normal business hours
- Develop a volunteer engagement process and strategy
- Participate in volunteer engagement events and activities
- Commitment to urbanist values
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Experience working with volunteers
- At least one year of experience with nonprofit fundraising
- Experience with online publications and advertising
- Experience with organizational development
Compensation is $23.75 per hour.
Interested applicants should submit a resume with a cover letter to jobs [at] theurbanist.org.